Sunday, September 23, 2007

Rain and a little thinking

There was an early season rain event yesterday.
Everything is cleaner now. The air is scrubbed and my car is rinsed.
There was a mud flow for the folks that live in the burn area near me, but fortunately the damage was slight. Most just have more laundry to do.

I am so new to this that I don't know where to go next.
I am still 'putting on the bones', setting up the page.
I am thinking about whether I want to have a different theme for each blogging day. For example: simple ways to keep your house clean or keeping clutter off of the desk. And another day for tips on shopping and cooking frugally, etc.

I am adding a links section today. These are sites that I like a lot. Amazingly, the first 2 sites are about technology! Both are somewhat tongue in cheek, and they feature the newest and coolest tech goodies. I will add more sites as the days go by.

I also wonder what tone I want to strike here.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I don't know what zen is. :-)

Kathleen said...

Hi Janet!
I can write about that in a day or two. How much do you want to know?
Are you interested in history or just current application of Zen (simple) living?

Janet said...

I think I'm interested in only the current application of Zen -- the 'simple living' part.

Kathleen said...

Zen is a school of Buddhism notable for its emphasis on practice and experiential wisdom—particularly as realized in the form of meditation known as zazen—in the attainment of awakening. As such, it de-emphasizes both theoretical knowledge and the study of religious texts in favor of direct individual experience of one's own true nature.

You might also enjoy knowing that Thomas Merton (1915–1968) the Trappist monk and priest was internationally recognized as having one of those rare Western minds that was entirely at home in Asian experience. Like his friend, the late D.T. Suzuki, Merton believed that there must be a little of Zen in all authentic creative and spiritual experience. The dialogue between Merton and Suzuki ("Wisdom in Emptiness" in: Zen and the Birds of Appetite, 1968) explores the many congruencies of Christian mysticism and Zen. (Main publications: The Way of Chuang Tzu, 1965; Mystics and Zen Masters, 1967; Zen and the Birds of Appetite, 1968).

Anonymous said...

i will comment tommorrow,
thank you!
I like your site very mcuh!!